Hbase is Java implementation of Google's Big Table. The Data in HBASE stores as two parts.
Row Key : 00001 Column : (Column Qualifier:Version:Value)
Features of HBASE
- HBase data stores consist of one or more tables, which are indexed by row keys.
- Data is stored in rows with columns, and rows can have multiple versions.
- By default, data versioning for rows is implemented with time stamps.
- Columns are grouped into column families, which must be defined up front during table creation. Column families are stored together on disk, which is why HBase is referred to as a column-oriented data store
In addition...HBASE is a distributed data store, which leverages a network attached cluster of low-cost commodity servers to store and persist data.HBASE architecture is a little trick to know.
Region Servers...RegionServers are the software processes (often called daemons) you activate to store and retrieve data in HBase.
The big difference...
- HABSE handles growing data or big data. HBase automatically scales as you add data to the system. A huge benefit compared to most database management systems, which require manual intervention to scale the overall system beyond a single server.
- With HBase, as long as you have in the rack another spare server that's configured, scaling is automatic.